New to Yoga?
Yay! Welcome! And congrats for taking the first step. It can be daunting to try anything new and it can be intimidating going to a yoga class for the first time.
You’re in great hands! All our teachers are skilled and experienced in meeting each person where they’re at. We offer modifications for beginner students and give advanced students more challenging variations.
- Eating – Yoga is a purification practice, and is best practiced on an empty stomach – so eat light or fast before class
- Drinking – Drink plenty of water before and after class to stay hydrated and to flush out toxins. During class we avoid water to allow the heat of our practice to purify our being
- Clothes – Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes. We’ll be going upside down, spreading body parts….so just make sure you’re comfortable!
- Leave your cell phone at home, or put it on airplane or silent to respect the sacredness of the space and your fellow classmates
- Adopt a “beginner’s mind” – one that is open and willing to learn
- Respect the teacher by following their guidance – of course feel free to ask questions for more clarity
- Listen to your Body – If you need to modify a pose, please honour that! If you need to take a break – that’s always ok
- Breathe – this is what makes Yoga Yoga – always come back to this remembrance
- Enjoy, have fun!
- Playfulness / Spirit of Openness
- Yoga mat – we also have eco-mats for sale and borrow
- Water Bottle – we have a refill station and are a disposable plastic free zone – we have Flower of Life Bottles for sale too
- Open Mind
- Towel – we have beautiful showers you are welcome to use
• working with injuries or limitations
• need to leave early
• concerned or curious about anything else!
Some common newbie thoughts – Any of this sound familiar?
I’m not flexible enough to do yoga! Yoga is for weird new –age hippies? Is this a cult?I’m not (flexible, balance strong, disciplined, insert-any other self-deprecating excuse here)– enough. What’s going on here? I can’t touch my toes. I can’t…
We are working on some great resources to help inspire and educate you about Yoga!
Stay in the loop by signing up for our loveletter!